Sonya earned a double honors Bachelor’s Degree in contemporary studies and English literature from the University of King’s College in Halifax, Nova Scotia. She pursued further studies at Osgoode Hall Law School, where she volunteered in the business clinic and as an instructor with the Ontario Justice Education Network. She earned a scholarship to study international dispute resolution, and spent one semester as a funded guest of the Master of Laws Program at Trinity College Dublin.
Since her call to the bar of Ontario in 2013, Sonya has cultivated a deep breadth of litigation experience, and has defended insurers in hundreds of actions pertaining to bodily injury, accident benefits, professional liability, and product liability. She is passionate about coverage work, particularly with respect to commercial general liability policies.
Sonya is just as interested in helping her clients prevent litigation as she is in defending the claims that eventually arise. Sonya is a member of the Workplace Safety Insurance and Appeals practice group, among others, and will be expanding her practice to include a number of solution-oriented services for employers, including workplace investigations and training programs.
When not in the office, Sonya volunteers her time and legal expertise as a board member of the Canada-Mathare Education Trust.
- Lo v. Allstate Insurance Company of Canada, 2021 ONLAT 20-003717/AABS Jul 09, 2021
- 19-006606 v. Allstate Insurance Co. Mar 23, 2021
- 18-008876 v. Aviva General Insurance Co. Feb 08, 2021
- 19-009997 v. RBC Insurance Dec 17, 2020
- 19-004871 v. Aviva Insurance Co. Jul 22, 2020
- 18-008876 v. Aviva Canada May 08, 2020
- 18-010454 v. Aviva Insurance Canada Apr 07, 2020
- 18-005902 v. Aviva General Insurance Aug 29, 2019