Shanti has focused on building an insurance defence practice in property and product liability loss, including subrogation work. She has worked extensively on files involving condominium construction. Shanti consistently represents Long Term Care Facilities and nurses providing care to patients at home. She has acted as an Appraiser under s.128 of the Insurance Act. She has extensive experience with professional negligence and enjoys BI tort work. Since being called to the bar, she has worked on a number of class actions including cases involving pollution, privacy breach, and explosions. She has represented insurance companies to pursue civil remedies in fraud. Shanti has also defended drivers, home owners, and sports organizations in personal injury cases.
Shanti co-chairs the firm’s Property, Subrogation, Health Law, Class Actions, and Product Liability groups. In 2021, Shanti was recognized by her peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers of Canada list in the area of Insurance Law.
Shanti’s advocacy skills cross a wide range of judicial proceedings. She has appeared before several tribunals and all levels of court including: the Ontario Court of Appeal, the Ontario Divisional Court, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, and the Federal Court of Canada. She has filed material responding to applications for leave to the Supreme Court of Canada.
Shanti received her Bachelors of Arts in Political Science at York University and completed law school at Osgoode. After articling at a well known defence law firm, she was called to the bar in 1998.
While Shanti promotes early settlement, she thoroughly enjoys being in court.
When she is not working, she spends time between her four children and her yoga mat.
- Lo v. Allstate Insurance Company of Canada, 2021 ONLAT 20-003717/AABS Jul 09, 2021
- Valee-Turgeon v. Personal Insurance, 2019 ONSC 476 Jan 17, 2019
- Asrat v. 1438305 Ontario Inc. et al, 2017 ONSC 6965 Nov 23, 2017
- Kidest Wondimu Asrat and 1438305 Ontario Inc C.O.B. Elemental Embrace Wellness Spa et al. (Costs Endorsement) Sep 18, 2017
- Sharma v. Stewart, 2017 ONSC 4333 Jul 24, 2017
- Lucy Boyadjian v. Regional Muncipality of Durham, The Corporation of the Town of Ajax, Matthew Lapensee and Heather Lapensee, 2016 ONSC 6477 Nov 01, 2016
- Arunasalam v. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co., 2015 ONSC 5977 Sep 28, 2015
- Arunasalam v. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co., 2015 ONSC 5235 Aug 20, 2015
- Asrat v. 1438305 Ontario Inc., 2015 ONSC 4208 Jul 02, 2015
- Miaskowski v. Persaud, 2015 ONSC 1654 Mar 12, 2015
- Greco v. Coseco Insurance Co., 2015 ONSC 1508 / Summary Judgment Motion Mar 09, 2015
- Mohammed v. Goodship, 2013 ONSC 4942 Jul 25, 2013
- Limited Liability Company v. Canada, 2010 FCA 159 Jun 11, 2010
- Speevak v. Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, 2010 ONSC 1128 Feb 18, 2010
- W One Holdings Corp. v. Verge, 2009 CanLII 63375 Oct 22, 2009
- Kelton and Ferracuti Consultants Limited (Re), 2008 ONCA 886 Dec 22, 2008
- Pascoe v. Ball Hockey Ontario Inc., 2005 CanLII 3375 (ON SC) Feb 11, 2005
- The Admissibility of Expert Accident Reconstruction - Shanti Barclay and Evan Argentino Sep 28, 2020
- Zarek Taylor Grossman Hanrahan - Response to the Attorney General's Request for Submissions on Civil Jury Trials Jun 15, 2020
- ZTGH Cannabis Cheat Sheet Feb 07, 2019
- I Won! Making Sense of a Jury Verdict in the Changing World of Personal Injury Law, WP Magazine February 2018 Feb 01, 2018