Michael was called to the bar in 1984 and began practice as an associate shortly thereafter at Lyons, Arbus. Lyons, Arbus became Lyons, Goodman and he was made a partner in the firm. When Lyons, Goodman dissolved in 1990, he joined the firm of Iacono Brown where he thereafter became a partner in 1988. He left Iacono Brown on October 1, 1997 to form ZTGH. Michael has practiced exclusively in the area of insurance since 1984, both in the property and casualty field. He also has defended environmental law claims. Michael's current practice includes accident benefits work, tort motor vehicle work, general liability and property work. He has recently expanded his practice to include mediation. Michael appears regularly before all Ontario courts and at the Financial Services Commission of Ontario.
Michael has written and lectured on a number of insurance issues including environmental claims and the Occupiers Liability Act. He also has served on the editorial board of the publication Legal Focus which specializes in property and general liability issues.
Michael was recently selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in Canada 2016 in the areas of insurance law and personal injury litigation.
Michael has been married for 17 years and is the proud father of two boys.
He spends as much time as he can at his cottage in the Muskokas and enjoys travel and photography.
He is passionate about the Montreal Canadiens and St Louis Cardinals and abhors reality TV which he describes as opium for the masses.
- Rodriguez v. Zhang, 2015 ONSC 5644 Sep 14, 2015
- DeKoning et al v. Vector Insurance Network (Ontario) Ltd. et al, 2009 CanLII 43644 (ON SC) Aug 19, 2009
- MacNeil v. Bryan/Dekoning et al. v. Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Co., 02-B5245 Judgment Jun 11, 2009
- Certas Direct Insurance Co. v. Federated Insurance Co. (Private Arbitration) Sep 22, 2008
- Williams v. Condon, 2007 CanLII 14925 (ON SC) Apr 10, 2007
- State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. v. Maitland / Appeal, FSCO P06-00018 Feb 08, 2007
- Maitland v. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co., FSCO A05-000307 May 09, 2006
- Kong v. Personal Insurance Co. of Canada, FSCO A04-001188 Dec 21, 2005
- D'Amato v. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co., FSCO A04-001811 Nov 15, 2005
- Kong v. Personal Insurance Co. of Canada / Interim Decision, FSCO A04-001188 Jul 21, 2005
- Kong v. Personal Insurance / Preliminary Issue, FSCO A04-001188 Mar 15, 2005
- State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. v. Souchuk / Appeal, FSCO P02-00039 Jan 08, 2004
- Lombardi v. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. / Pre-Hearing, FSCO A99-000957 Dec 04, 2003
- Lombardi v. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. / Appeal, FSCO P01-00022 Feb 26, 2003
- Souchuk v. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co., FSCO A02-000309 Nov 27, 2002
- Lombardi v. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. Apr 11, 2001
- Ramballe v. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. Feb 26, 2001
- Pham v. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. Aug 28, 2000
- D'Amato v. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. Jun 30, 2000
- B.M. v. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. / Expenses Sep 21, 1999
- B.M. v. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. Mar 30, 1999
- To Bring or Not to Bring: Summary Judgment Motions in the Personal Injury Context Post - Hryniak Mar 26, 2015
- McIntyre v. Grigg — A Case Comment: Punitive Damages and More Sep 01, 2007
- Videotaping Defence Medicals Jun 01, 2007
- Social Host Liability Nov 01, 2006
- Childs v. Desormeaux — Social Host Liability or Just Another Case? Jun 01, 2005
- Ontario Court of Appeal Broadens Scope of Governmental Liability May 03, 2000
- A Practitioner's Perspective on Slip and Fall Cases Sep 03, 1992
- Case Annotation: R. v. Kansa General Insurance Company Jul 03, 1991